SEO Friendly Images

The free version of the plugin is not supported. Get the supported, premium version of SEO Friendly Images with lots of premium only features!

SEO Friendly Images is a WordPress optimization plugin which automatically updates all images with proper ALT and TITLE attributes. If your images do not have ALT and TITLE already set, SEO Friendly Images will add them according the options you set. Additionally this makes the post W3C/xHTML valid as well.

ALT attribute is important part of search engine optimization. It describes your image to search engine and when a user searches for a certain image this is a key determining factor for a match.

TITLE attribute play lesser role but is important for visitors as this text will automatically appear in the tooltip when mouse is over the image.

3. Use the Options page to modify ALT and TITLE options.
  4. You are done, SEO Image does everything else

SEO Friendly Images options recognize two tags %title (post title) and %name (filename of the picture). By combining these two tags and additional words (photo, picture etc..) you can create relevant alt and title tags automatically for all images.

Here is a live example of the plugin (active on my blog). The image that has title and alt replaced with "%title" and "%name %title" respectively resulting in "SEO Friendly Image" for title and "example SEO Friendly Images" for alt.

example.jpg

There is one additional option called 'Override default WordPress alt'. If you uploaded pictures to your blog posts already and haven't specified a description WordPress would automatically add a default alt tag in form of image.jpg. Since SEO Friendly Images replaces only empty or non-existing alt tags, this would be left intact unless this option is turned on.

Changelog

v2.4: Regexp Optimization. Fixed bug with single quotes used in images.

v2.3.2: WP 2.7 cleanup

v2.3: Fixes an issue with poorly formatted img tag

v2.0: Fixed compatibility issue with WordPress 2.5.1 and included %category replacement string.

May 20th, 2008 v1.20

* Compatibility with WordPress 2.5.1 and support for %category.

Mar 6st, 2008 v1.1

* Bug fix with quotes in titles

Mar 1st, 2008 v1.0
* Initial release

Visit my other interesting WordPress Plugins.

Need help with WordPress SEO? Feel free to contact me.

1. Nov 11th, 2008 4:37 PM

hi

the plugin is good but the alt tag is only shown on the thumbmails not the big images please fix the error in it.

thanks

2. Nov 11th, 2008 2:28 AM

I don't know Image Optimization before. SEO Friendly Images PLUGIN is really great to help us to optimise our WP blog.

We would like to say Thank You for your creativity.

3. Nov 7th, 2008 11:46 AM

Hi Vladimir

How can I ‘Override default WordPress alt’?

ie. On the page (link below) I would like the company logo to say Wildcat SEO and not the aero bubbles alt tag

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kasumi

4. Oct 28th, 2008 12:51 AM

@Gavin Seim - Changing title attributes does not work? Can you show an example?
    @Stefan Tell - Please tell me more about the problem. Best you can write me an email describing it
    @Aldo - Hvala, kako radi poker?

5. Oct 21st, 2008 7:35 AM

Thanks so much. Simple and well done. Everything works good, except changing title attribute settings is not doing anything. It just used image title no matter what I enter. Still the alt was my main concern so it will do super.

Gavin
    seimeffects.com

6. Oct 16th, 2008 5:11 AM

how about adding a feature : Height and width tags to SEO friendly images... just a idea.

Pozdrav

7. Oct 11th, 2008 9:43 PM

Mnogo hvala na odlicnom pluginu.

8. Oct 2nd, 2008 8:53 PM

Hello,
    Thanks for this great plug-in for creating seo optimized images.

9. Sep 30th, 2008 7:33 PM

Sorry to say, but this plugin destroyed my feed as well. So I had to get rid of it temporarily. Will check back later to see if the problem is solved.

Somehow Feedburner and some other feed-readers had problems with Swedish characters (å,ä,ö) when using UTF-8 and complained about "high-bit characters".

10. Sep 27th, 2008 12:32 AM

Ej majstore, svaka čast!

11. Aug 16th, 2008 1:59 PM

Hi

12. Aug 12th, 2008 10:46 PM

Hi, great plugin but I've found an issue leading to non-compliant HTML. It can generate title values where an ampersand is not properly encoded, ie. '&' is not encoded as '&'.

13. Aug 11th, 2008 11:38 PM

Thank you for a great little plugin.

Toby @

14. Atomic Popcorn
    Jul 24th, 2008 2:08 PM

Is there any reason it wouldn't work on all images already posted or is this for images going forward that are posted?

15. Jul 23rd, 2008 1:08 PM

Even more SEO for my website :D

16. Jul 15th, 2008 5:25 PM

There is no reason not to work. I am running 2.6 here too.

17. Jul 15th, 2008 4:26 PM

Help! I don't think seo friendly images is working with wordpress 2.6!

18. Jul 9th, 2008 5:07 PM

This plugin incompatible with blog in russian UTF-8
    Plugin destroy RSS feed =(

19. Naveen
    Jul 8th, 2008 11:59 AM

Yes, I just downloaded and tested it out.

This just happens to image which has extra space before end bracket i.e .jpg" >, the extra space does not go well with the plugin. Since I post most of my posts via email, these extra spaces do appear.

I got a work around it by using the search and replace plugin and replaced .jpg" > to .jpg">. It works now!

20. Jul 8th, 2008 8:26 AM

Do you use the latest version, 2.3?

21. Naveen
    Jul 8th, 2008 8:15 AM

Thanx for the plugin!

I'm also facing the problem which Ahni posted on May 21st. The plugin eats up last few letters of the image src and the image fails to load.

.jpg is trim to .j or .jp
    .gif is trim to .gi or .g

deactivating the plugin loads the image "fine"

Using - Version 2.5.1

22. Jul 7th, 2008 9:12 AM

Version 2.3 is out with few tweaks.

23. Jul 6th, 2008 5:40 PM

This is a great plugin. It works on most of my images. However, for some images, the src tag was modified wrongly leading to a broken image. E.g.

becomes

Two characters were chopped off ('g"' in this case) in original src attribute.

I looked at your code and couldn't figure out why. I'd appreciate it if you could have a look. The is version 2.2.

24. Jul 6th, 2008 1:25 PM

I need to rename images of posts with title name

25. Jul 2nd, 2008 7:07 PM

SEO Friendly Images is a GREAT idea but I think it may be conflicting with GeoPress / http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/geopress/ - sometime in the past week or so my embedded GeoPress maps stopped working and I just finished deactivating all my plugins trying to figure out where the problem might be occurring - I cant say for sure but right now SEO Friendly Images is off and my maps are back to working again...