SEO Smart Links

Support SEO Smart Links by buying the Premium version!  SEO Smart Links Premium is faster, with bug fixes and over 20 new features. What is new?

SEO Smart Links can automatically link keywords and phrases in your posts and comments with corresponding posts, pages, categories and tags on your blog.

Further SEO Smart links allows you to set up your own keywords and set of matching URLs.

Finally SEO Smart links allows you to set nofollow attribute and open links in new window.

Everything happens completely transparent, and you can edit the options from the administration settings panel.

How it Works?

SEO Smart Links looks for keyword phrases that match the titles of your posts and pages by default (and you can enable categories and tags matching too). These phrases are then turned into the links. The matching is case insensitive and the original case is preserved.

So If I mention Amazing Grace, which is my theme and also the title of one of my pages, it will be automatically converted into a link.

Features:

• Find keywords in your posts, pages and comments and link them to your other posts, pages, categories and tags
  • Full control with customizable options
  • Ignore list for keywords you do not want to link
  • Improves your site's interlinking
  • Control external links with custom keywords
  • Add nofollw attribute or open links in new window
  • Caching for speed - make sure you have define('ENABLE_CACHE', true); set in your wp-config.php

4. That is all. You can check your posts for new links.

Frequently Asked Questions

You can discuss all plugin related issues in the wordpress related forums.

How do I correctly use this plugin?

Just install activate it on your blog. SEO Smart links will be default find matching links to your post and pages (if the keyword in your text matches their title).

Default options are enough to get you going. If you want to tweak it, you can always edit the options. Be sure to check "ignore" options where you can state what keywords and phrases not to link.

How do I enable SEO Smart Links cache?

Make sure you have enabled WordPress cache by adding this line to your wp-config.php

define('ENABLE_CACHE', true);

Please be careful when editing this file and always make a backup!

Changelog

- Performance optimization and new option to link to cats and tags with used at least n times (thanks Domink Deobald!)

- Added the option for case sensitive matching

- Various improvements and bug fixes

v1.8.0
- Added support for non-english characters (Unicode)
- Added support for keyword synonyms (in keywords section of the settings screen)

- Performance optimization of the plugin. SEO Smart Links causes much lesser strain on the server.

- Added option to process only single posts and pages

- Added nofollow and new window options

- Added option for custom keywrods. No you can specify unlimited numbers of your keywords and url's to link to

v1.3:
- Enabled caching for speeding queries up.

v1.2:
- Added limits options
- Fixed small bugs

Credits

1. A chap called Paolo Faustino translated the plugin to Portugese
  2. Thanks to Chris from http://www.munchweb.com

Need help with  WordPress SEO? Feel free to contact me.

1. Jun 24th, 2008 1:24 PM

The newest version brings caching so things should be lot better now! BE sure to enable wordpress cache first!

2. Jun 22nd, 2008 10:42 AM

WordPress is very slow with working with categories and tags due to poor organization of tables, specially on numbers you mention. I admit I do now have any caching yet but let's say the guilt for poor performance is equally shared.

3. Jun 22nd, 2008 1:17 AM

Hi Vladimir,

Yes, indeed I did have categories and tags turned on. Would that be the cause of the poor performance? If so, I would still consider that to be a development issue and not an end user issue. Those options should be available without hindering performance from the blog.

My mistake on the added tables. Although, I am still concerned with performance. The blog I tested SEO Smart Link on is a blog with 700 posts (average post is about 600 words) with around 1000 tags and quite a bit of traffic. When I activated the plugin, immediately the load time of the blog was terribly slow. As soon as I deactivated the plugin load time went right back to normal.

4. Jun 22nd, 2008 12:35 AM

It can happen that the performance is an issues if you turn on linking of cats and tags too, I guess this is what you did?

There is no extra table used, all information is saved in WP options table and consumes very little space.

5. Jun 21st, 2008 9:43 PM

Great idea and nice alternative to ALinks. However, this plugin really slows down the performance of my blog. Also I noticed the extra table added to my MySQL DB.

All in all it doesn't seem to be written in a way that will perform smoothly on busy blogs. Perhaps, you can make improvements in the future.

Like many plugins that modify the MySQL DB, you should provide documentation on how to remove the extra table from MySQL when a user no longer wants to use the plugin. Simply deactivating the plugin from the dashboard doesn't remove the plugin from the WP Install.

6. Jun 21st, 2008 10:06 AM

The links appear if you have matches. Try mentioning of of your post titles in your next post and see if it becomes a link automatically.

7. Jun 21st, 2008 1:55 AM

I'm having an issue with it. So far I haven't seen any interlinks arise yet. I've had the plugin for a few days now. Can anyone tell me what I haven't done yet. I followed the instructions above but so far nothing =(

Click my name to view the site

8. Jun 20th, 2008 8:37 PM

I can announce version 1.2 which is on the way to the repository and adds limits as a new feature.

9. Motley Health and Fitness
    Jun 20th, 2008 7:45 PM

That would be a good feature I think.

10. Jun 20th, 2008 7:07 PM

I can introduce the number of maximum links per post and maximum links to a single post if that is what you want..

11. Jun 20th, 2008 1:14 PM

I like the plugin, but would like to limit the number of links that it creates. Is this possible? Currently it links to the same page about 10 times for one of my blogs, I would ideally like it to only link once to each page, and only have 3 or 4 links per post.

Cheers

Jon.

12. Jun 19th, 2008 9:45 PM

Yes Yes sir.
    Just downloaded it, and gotta see the links coming up. Guess i gotta play a little with it.

But i must say it looks very promising. Thanks again and thanks for fast answers :)

13. Jun 19th, 2008 9:36 PM

There is a new version 1.1 available that should fix that problem.

Links appear to your matching posts and pages.

14. Jun 19th, 2008 9:31 PM

Hi vladimir,
    This is the full text i get!

Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Unknown modifier ‘c′ in /public_html/wp-content/plugins/seo-automatic-links/seo-links.php on line 81

Im using the newest version of wordpress!!

best regards,
    Kristian

15. Jun 19th, 2008 7:14 PM

i added and activated the plugin, never got any errors like others but never got any extra links either, currently using wordpress 2.5.1

16. Jun 19th, 2008 2:40 PM

Great plugin idea! Error when I activated it however. The error shows on posts when I try to view them.

Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Unknown modifier '5' in /public_html/wp-content/plugins/seo-automatic-links/seo-links.php on line 81

17. Jun 19th, 2008 9:56 AM

Can you provide the full text of the error message?

18. Jun 19th, 2008 9:50 AM

Hi Vladimir.
    Looks really awesome, this plugin.
    I installed like decribed, but i get the following error:
    preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Unknown modifier 'c'

Did I do something wrong?
    Best regards,