SEO Smart Links

Support SEO Smart Links by buying the Premium version!  SEO Smart Links Premium is faster, with bug fixes and over 20 new features. What is new?

SEO Smart Links can automatically link keywords and phrases in your posts and comments with corresponding posts, pages, categories and tags on your blog.

Further SEO Smart links allows you to set up your own keywords and set of matching URLs.

Finally SEO Smart links allows you to set nofollow attribute and open links in new window.

Everything happens completely transparent, and you can edit the options from the administration settings panel.

How it Works?

SEO Smart Links looks for keyword phrases that match the titles of your posts and pages by default (and you can enable categories and tags matching too). These phrases are then turned into the links. The matching is case insensitive and the original case is preserved.

So If I mention Amazing Grace, which is my theme and also the title of one of my pages, it will be automatically converted into a link.

Features:

• Find keywords in your posts, pages and comments and link them to your other posts, pages, categories and tags
  • Full control with customizable options
  • Ignore list for keywords you do not want to link
  • Improves your site's interlinking
  • Control external links with custom keywords
  • Add nofollw attribute or open links in new window
  • Caching for speed - make sure you have define('ENABLE_CACHE', true); set in your wp-config.php

4. That is all. You can check your posts for new links.

Frequently Asked Questions

You can discuss all plugin related issues in the wordpress related forums.

How do I correctly use this plugin?

Just install activate it on your blog. SEO Smart links will be default find matching links to your post and pages (if the keyword in your text matches their title).

Default options are enough to get you going. If you want to tweak it, you can always edit the options. Be sure to check "ignore" options where you can state what keywords and phrases not to link.

How do I enable SEO Smart Links cache?

Make sure you have enabled WordPress cache by adding this line to your wp-config.php

define('ENABLE_CACHE', true);

Please be careful when editing this file and always make a backup!

Changelog

- Performance optimization and new option to link to cats and tags with used at least n times (thanks Domink Deobald!)

- Added the option for case sensitive matching

- Various improvements and bug fixes

v1.8.0
- Added support for non-english characters (Unicode)
- Added support for keyword synonyms (in keywords section of the settings screen)

- Performance optimization of the plugin. SEO Smart Links causes much lesser strain on the server.

- Added option to process only single posts and pages

- Added nofollow and new window options

- Added option for custom keywrods. No you can specify unlimited numbers of your keywords and url's to link to

v1.3:
- Enabled caching for speeding queries up.

v1.2:
- Added limits options
- Fixed small bugs

Credits

1. A chap called Paolo Faustino translated the plugin to Portugese
  2. Thanks to Chris from http://www.munchweb.com

Need help with  WordPress SEO? Feel free to contact me.

1. Koen
    Jul 17th, 2008 10:00 PM

Hello Vladimir,

First of all: brilliant plugin! I love it. Everything works very well, except for one little detail though. In the settings I've selected all the possibilities to interlink (posts, pages and comments to posts, pages, categories and tags). I did NOT check the "Allow links to itself" boxes. In one of my posts the title is repeated in the text and it actually DOES link to itself, so I guess there's still a little bug around there...

2. Jul 17th, 2008 8:01 AM

This is a great plugin. However, I experienced one problem: I'd like to link in the custom keywords section the keyword "Café Frappé" (and i am usng an e with Akut there). But this does not work.

Regards,
    Christoph

3. Jul 16th, 2008 7:38 PM

Vladimir you mean define(’ENABLE_CACHE’, true) or using the WP cache or some Cache plugin

4. Jul 16th, 2008 7:31 PM

If you did not enable cache and/or have enabled lot of options it can take a while for everything to be parsed

5. Jul 16th, 2008 5:41 PM

Hi i like the idea of the plugin
    but my pages/posts take twice as long to load with the plugin active?
    any idea's why?

6. Jul 16th, 2008 9:00 AM

HP 1.5.1 is solution to your problems ;)

7. Jul 16th, 2008 8:46 AM

Hello, I hava a problem.
    I installed the plugin but now all my links in the posts are on nofollow.
    In the setting I disabled the option with nofollow. Is there a problem with a other plugin?

8. Jul 16th, 2008 8:46 AM

Hi Vladimir,

I have a question on Siloing. I am keen to have my blog broken down by area, eg backup, storage, servers, comms etc.

If I were to list only categories with descriptions on the home page and then have the 2nd tier as category pages followed by the posts themselves does this become a silo and is it any good?

I don't want to use "pages" as I don't want to be fully dependant on google for visitors etc.

I ask because I read about silos and the "master plan" by Charles Heffner and they seem to link articles in a strange way.

Yout blog looks very nice and is very informative.

I got to it by a link from Joost!

9. Jul 11th, 2008 2:45 PM

Hi Vladimir,

I already said the plugin is good and with the new version that we can specifie the words and links, it is better. But I have other two features suggestions. I think was this suggestion I tried on the other comment, but whem I submited it, the html tag was erased.

I think was good if we can select the text where will be displayed the links. Something like tags [ seolinks ] and [ /seolinks ] in the posts. The motivation of my suggestion is that I had a decrease in my in-texts ads. Ads and seo links are in 'conflict'. So, if we could control where (in the text, not only in the words) the links will be displayed, it will be good.

The other one is the possibility to change tags cloud or whatever words on sidebar link to posts, and not to the tags archives. Again, the motivation is that, generally, we block the tags and categories pages on robots.txt. So, we lost a lot of seo links, with good anchors from the relevant posts.

I fear I am boring you, I could try to do this if I knew anything about programing, but I don´t know. =[

So... thank you for listening...

10. Jul 8th, 2008 9:38 PM

If you send me an email with your blog details i might be able to see what is the problem. Turning the cache on in sometimes not enough, you also need to make sure tat wp-cache directory exists and is writeable.

Business solution: yep I like the idea when the time allows I will move that way.

11. Teeg
    Jul 8th, 2008 9:00 PM

As stated in my previous post. Caching IS turned on and it still crashes.

And regarding the solution for using matching tags in content, business logic can be written to define the linking criteria.

For instance, if there are 10 posts using the same tag, it could link to the oldest, most recent, randomly pick one that hasn't been linked to before, choose the post with the most comments, etc.

The combinations of rules is nearly endless but they can be defined pretty easily and given a hierarchy. If this relationship between Tag Link found in content and the post it should be linking to is stored in a table, then it does not need to calculate this at page load.

I think the idea of dynamic SEO deep-linking is great and you've long been creating great Plugins but unfortunately I can't get this SmartLink 1.4 to work on the most recent version of WordPress.

Keep up the great work.

12. Jul 8th, 2008 7:10 PM

The solution is to use the tags as the linking keywords in the content, but link TO the Posts that also have the same tags (rather than the tag pages).

What if a tag matches several posts?

Regarding speed you need to enable wordpress cache as described in the plugin FAQ.

Virtually all internal links created on this site are with SEO Smart links plugin.

13. Teeg
    Jul 8th, 2008 6:20 PM

Running WP 2.5.1
    Caching is turned on.
    Smart Links v1.4
    Size: about 650 posts
    Traffic: about 200,000 page views per month

Installed and activated the plugin with no problems.

Under the Settings, I selected "Posts" as the Source and "Posts" as the Link Destination. The pages load reasonably quick though maybe a second slower. But there are no links. I suspect that this is due to the fact that it is looking for matches of the Post Titles, which it will never find. If people are using a Post title that is so short that it can be found as a common word in content, then they aren't optimizing their Titles correctly. If they are using well optimized post titles, then this plugin will never find a match.

OK, so I'm still searching for an actual link, so I unchecked the Link Destination of "Posts" and checked "Tags" instead. It slows the loading of the page down significantly (10-15 seconds). The ONLY thing that is selected is "Tags" as the Link Destination. Furthermore, there are still no links. Even on a post where I know has the same tags as other posts and has them mentioned in the content itself.

The next test was to just click "Categories" as the link destination. Still, only "Posts" is selected as the Source. The pages load quicker but still no links.

Finally, I select "Posts","Categories", and "Pages" as the link destinations and still only have "Posts" as the source. Now the site is virtually dead. After about 30 seconds it basically just loads the header. It doesn't load any of the content on the page other than the post title. There is no error message. It just doesn't finish loading the page. In the Source code, it just cuts off as soon as it gets to the content section. There is no footer or anything.

This plugin is a great concept but still needs some work. I look forward to these issues being fixed. Thanks.

14. Jul 8th, 2008 12:11 AM

The new version of SEO Smart links is out today and it features a much anticipated option:
    - You can now specify unlimited number of your own custom keywords and urls to link to

15. Jul 7th, 2008 3:42 PM

I loved this plugin. Indeed, this work very well but I have a feature suggestion:

It was good if we can control the text SEO Smart Links will work. So, if we can put something like and we will have more control on the links.

Well... is this.
    Good job...

16. Jul 5th, 2008 9:38 PM

What about this part, somewhere with the code it appears that there is an extra “>” because at the beginning of every post and page, it would start the paragraph with a ‘>’.

How can I eliminate that?

17. Scott
    Jul 5th, 2008 2:55 PM

Enabled caching for speeding queries up. Make sure you have
    define(ENABLE_CACHE, true);