Snazzy Archives – WordPress Archive Plugin

Snazzy Archives is a visualization plugin for your WordPress site featuring an unique way to display all your posts. Your archive page will never be boring again!

Snazzy archives simply lets you express yourself and your blog. You can select different layouts and special effects, Snazzy archives will make sure your content stands out.

Snazzy Archives in action

Main features

• Unique visual presentation of blog posts
  • Will work out of the box with all features
  • Posts are scanned for images and youtube videos and shown together with number of comments
  • Different editable layouts (HTML and CSS)
  • Special effects using jQuery
  • Caching available for faster access

Demo

dl Live Blogroll

4. Use the code [snazzy-archive] (without one space) in a post or page where you want to display the archive

You may want to edit the CSS file immediately to adjust the look for your blog. Please read the FAQ for explanation how.

Frequently Asked Questions

Supprt questions can be asked in the plugin support forum.

This looks like Tumblr!

The idea comes actually from this page and people from a popular microblogging platform Tumblr have used it on their blogs as well. I have taken the idea further, creating a plugin that is differnt in many ways.

How can I change default size of archive?

Open style-archive.css for editing. This is  the main file for styling information. First element .snazzy describes the main container.

Height attribute is the height of archive, remove the line if you want full height. Same applies to width. If the archive can not fit in the container, scrollbars will be shown like on the picture.

Also you can enable special effect 1 in your plugin options, this will create a so called carousel effect that will further save space.

How do I change the height and width of the posts and pictures?

Just edit the width of .sz_cont element and height of .sz_img element and notice the change immediately.

How can I show archives full screen like you do?

First  create a new empty template file, for example snazzy.php, Then just include header and Snazzy archive call, not the sidebar.Then upload snazzy.php to your theme folder and create a new page on your blog using this template (write page and select this template instead of the default; the option for template is found below the post).

Here is how can one such file look like:

<?php
Template Name: Snazzy Archives

?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<p align="center">
<?php if (isset($SnazzyArchives)) echo $SnazzyArchives->display(); ?>
</p>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

How do I edit and add layouts?

Layouts are stored in files snazzy-layout-1.php, snazzy-layout-2.php and so on.. Edit these fles or make your own using the available variables

• $first_for_day - is the comment first for given day, used usually for additional clearance
  • $title - post title
  • $excerpt - post excerpt
  • $comcount - number of comments
  • $imageurl - url of the post image
  • $youtubeurl - url of the video (without http://)
  • $day, $month, $year - date of post

How do I set carousel options?

Options for carousel (special effect #1) can be found in snazzy-archives.js.php file. You can set how many elements are visible at once (variable visible) and if you change width of the items in your CSS file, do not forget to change it here as well - option def_width (add 16px for default padding).

How can I contribute?

You can create your own custom layouts and special effects! Send them to me for inclusion in future versions. Also you can send your feedback, bug reports and suggestions.

- Added caching
- Added option to load images
- Added option to specify page id, so the scripts load only that page

v0.6 - Added options to show years in rows and months in reverse order (thanks Jorge Sierra!)
v0.5 - IE fix and xHTML compliance
v0.4 - bug fix release. changed the code to [snazzy-archive]
v0.1 - First release

If you are looking for WordPress Services, feel free to contact me.

1. Jul 24th, 2008 10:04 PM

Very cool plugin! This is a fabulous idea. The JavaScript doesn't work very well in IE7, though. When I click on the day on your Archives page it doesn't do anything. Works fine in FF2. Have you seen this? Is this something you hope to fix?

Thanks,
    David

2. Jul 23rd, 2008 5:30 PM

Heh. Don't have anything interesting for the year phrases? Try these:

2005#The Year of the Rooster
    2006#The Year of the Dog
    2007#The Year of the Pig
    2008#The Year of the Rat
    2009#The Year of the Ox
    2010#The Year of the Tiger
    2011#The Year of the Hare
    2012#The Year of the Dragon
    2013#The Year of the Snake
    2014#The Year of the Horse
    2015#The Year of the Sheep
    2016#The Year of the Monkey

Animals from the Chinese Zodiac. :)

3. Jul 23rd, 2008 8:04 AM

Awesome feature... where's your donate button? I'd easily toss $5 your way for this (not a lot, but I'm a cheap ass).

The blog I'm using this on is mostly utilized two months a year - is there any way to columnize this by week, and not just by month?

Keep rockin!

4. Jul 21st, 2008 6:58 PM

Well done Otto, nice find.

5. Jul 21st, 2008 6:47 PM

Minor little patch that you might consider putting in:

If you change this bit:
    $youtubeurl=$matches2[0];
    if ($youtubeurl)
    $imageurl=$this->plugin_url.'/i/video.png';

into this instead:
    $youtubeurl=$matches2[0];
    if ($youtubeurl)
    $imageurl="http://i.ytimg.com/vi/{$matches2[3]}/0.jpg";

Then you'll get the thumbnail images of your YouTube videos showing up in the archives instead of that default "YouTube" graphic.

6. Jul 21st, 2008 12:53 PM

vlad,

i liked your archives plugin, and it is very useful as it gives a snapshot of the posts in the blog, and a user can easily decide which to view.

however, i would like to tell you that the archives display protected posts as well! it would be good if those posts are not displayed in the archives.

ciao,
    roxy

7. Jul 16th, 2008 10:47 PM

i want to say i would like to change the name (translation in french) even myself

8. Jul 16th, 2008 10:46 PM

if could change name of month it will be perfect !!!

9. Jul 15th, 2008 4:42 PM

Very cool plugin!
    I just have one suggestion to make, can you make the number of visible elements in the Carousel an option? Fixing it at 3 may be too narrow for some people.

10. Tim
    Jul 15th, 2008 4:19 PM

I liked your theme so much I am using it now myself. I will be changing it so that it's not too much like yours, but am very new to this game so please give me a little time. I also love the Snazzy Archives plug-in, but can't seem to get it working. I have activated it in the plug-ins area, but can't seem to figure out what to do next. Thank you for any help you can give and I apologize in advance for the noob question.

Thanks again for your amazing work and allowing us to use it as well!

11. Jul 14th, 2008 3:37 PM

Is there any way to make the plugin show images, where the url is in a custom field?

12. Jul 12th, 2008 11:25 PM

What a great idea. Does it enhance or detract from SEO of archive pages?

13. Jul 12th, 2008 11:44 AM

I have just posted latest version v0.3 where you can select to display posts and/or pages.

14. Jul 11th, 2008 10:25 PM

There will be an option in the new version to select posts, pages or both ;)

Rudy: It doesnt work for me in ff3 on your page as well, but in IE7.. it's just beautiful isn't :) oops.. you have extra float:left in your #header_img remove it and it will be fine...

Iva; hvala ti puno!

15. Jul 11th, 2008 9:56 PM

Great plugin, Vlad. Just awesome!

I do have problems with it though. I can't view the snazzy archive page on FF3, but I can view it on IE7 (with Javascript errors). I'm using the full screen php template you suggested in your FAQ. Is my theme getting in the way?

My snazzy page is http://www.amid.com/werd/snazzy/

16. Jul 11th, 2008 9:32 PM

I ja se slažem sa Ottom i Leanne, definitivno bi bilo bolje da je samo za blog, a ne i za stranice. I držim palčeve na takmičenju!

17. Richard
    Jul 11th, 2008 8:40 PM

2.5.1 install, unfortuntely, absolutely nothing shows on my archives page !–snazzy-archive– is in the source

18. Jul 11th, 2008 8:15 PM

The archives page also shows Pages instead of just my Posts. You should limit it to only show Posts, as Pages don't conceptually have a date/time on them.

Easy fix, just add AND post_type = 'post' to the query.

19. Jul 11th, 2008 6:28 PM

Can you maybe tell me why not all of my images show on my archive page, it says 'image not found' while other images show perfectly. What can i do to resolve this problem. BTW i love your theme and snazzy archives is just beautiful (if all my images will load)

Best
    Edwin Kommerkamp

20. Jul 11th, 2008 5:50 PM

lol, what ever rocks your boat :)

21. leanne
    Jul 11th, 2008 5:43 PM

mmm I wasn't v. clear was I? Thinking about it I probably couldn't do that anyway. It might also look nice as a categories page if that was possible.

Leanne :)

22. Jul 11th, 2008 5:26 PM

thanks :)

What do you mean by just for posts?

23. leanne
    Jul 11th, 2008 5:14 PM

I love this too much for my archives page can I use it just for posts?

thanks